Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Running

As some of you may know I recently started up running again. I had not been running since senior year cross country. So almost eleven years ago. I have run a few races since I started. I ran the Susan G. Komen race for the cure in the beginning of October. I ran that 5k in 32:20. Then I ran in the Huntsville 5k while Matt ran the half marathon. I ran that in 31:14. Since then, Matt has talked me into training to do a half marathon (13 miles) over Christmas break. So last night I decided that I would step up my distance from just running 5 miles to 6 or 7. So after Matt got home and we got the kids fed and ready, we set off for a run. Once we got in the North Spring subdivision, Matt asked if I wanted to go straight or left. I decided to go left. This was a bad idea. We were about a half mile into the run when a little yappy dog ran over and bit me just below my calf. It was nothing too bad, but he had broken the skin a little. The wound is about as big as my thumb nail. As my mom would say, "It's far from your heart, so you'll survive." We kept on going after I reviewed the damage. We ran around three of our neighboring subdivisions. Matt left it up to me as to when we should turn to go home. The loop we ran came out to be 8.6 miles and I ran it in 1:35:44. I felt good up until I stopped running. I still felt good, but my legs felt like Jello. We walked around the block to cool down. I have a month and a half to add 4 and 1/2 miles to it. If I go the pace I was running last night, I will finish the half marathon in 2:25:40. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

You are so awesome Amy! Way to go. Hope the 1/2 marathon is successful. This is the second blog about running I've read today . . . maybe it's a hint to me to start up again. Keep it up!