Friday, March 12, 2010

Texas Independence Relay

Matt's crazy relay race from last week. I uploaded the photos and Matt is going to comment on them later. So look again later and maybe Matt will have commented.




At the top we have Roger's Pizza. One of our team members found out a cat had recently got trapped in the bathroom wall. It was fine but only 1 of a few places actually open at 8pm on a Friday night. One of a few reasons I don't think I'd be ok with living in a small town.




We thought this was one of the best dressed teams. They didn't run the race this way though. It was hard to ID them during the race. We lost to them by just a few seconds.

























Our team of 8 to run 203 miles.

















































The 1st leg is run together as a team.

































The finish at San Jacinto.



















We finish as a team also.



















We had 'bullet holes' and 'kills' on our car. They represented people that passed us and those that we passed while we raced. We ended up with about a 2:1 ratio of kills:bullets.




You got a choice of starting off with a cannon blast or a gong (if the cannon wasn't ready from the last team's start). The cannon was blasting from 6 am to 1 pm on Saturday.



This was similar to the RAGNAR race I did with 9 other friends 1 1/2 years ago. I ran a lot more that time (33 miles) than this time (20 miles). But I ran those 20 miles a whole minute faster (per mile) than last time (ended up being an average of 6:50 pace). It was a ton of fun. I got to meet 7 new people (I just joined a team that needed another runner instead of forming a team of my own). There's something about spending an entire weekend together (most of it awake as you don't sleep much during the race- I think I got a whole hour) with other crazy people who love running as much as you do that forms a nice bond.

No comments: